Sunday, July 3, 2011

Zucchini Jam - Who knew?

Many of the fruits I like just won't grow here.  Our soil is very alkaline. So's our well water, so ammending the soil just doesn't help in that area.  I have four peach trees, three too young to produce anything, the older one gave me 4 apricot-size peaches one year, and hasn't produced another one since.  My strawberries?  Oh har.  I might get one here and there to eat while I'm watering, but that's about it.

But zucchini?  Ya, it likes it here!  Too bad Bill doesn't like it.  So, in an effort to use what I have (plus disguise it) and make something that tastes good (the fine art of substitution), here's another zucchini recipe. I should have enough zucchini in a few days to try this.  It had a lot of great reviews - some said to cut back on the sugar.

Zucchini Jam

6 cups peeled, seeded and shredded zucchini
6 cups white sugar
1 (15.25 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 (6 oz) package of strawberry Jello (or orange, apricot, whatever flavor you like)

Combine zucchini, sugar, pineapple and lemon juice in a large pot over medium heat.  Boil mixture until the zucchini is clear.  Remove from heat, add Jello and stir until completely dissolved.  Ladle into hot, sterilized jars leaving head space.  Seal and process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes or the amount of time for your altitude.

I think I'll aim for an orange marmalade type jam.  If it works out well, maybe I'll add some actual fruit to the next batch!

Added later:  Well, it just tasted like the orange jello!  With texture.  Wasn't bad smeared on some toast, though.  I'd probably try it again with a different flavor of jello.

No comments:

Post a Comment