Thursday, September 1, 2011

Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid

Windshield washer fluid is pretty cheap in most areas, but if you get in a pinch, one of these recipes might work for you.

Most of it is a copy and paste.

For warmer climates you can use:

- 25% Windex and 75% water and a teaspoon of liquid dishwasher fluid, or
- 9 cups of water, 1 cup of isopropyl alcohol, 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid, or
- one gallon of distilled water and one cup of glass cleaner (Windex, etc)

For colder climates you can use:

- one gallon of distilled water, one cup of glass cleaner and one-half of a cup of isopropyl alcohol (anti-freezing agent), or
- mixture of one part vinegar and three parts of water

Most popular windshield washer fluids on the market today are made up of 90% water and 10% methanol. To get best results you should use distilled water as it is free of the impurities found in tap water. Methanol can be found at an industrial supply store (it's nasty stuff) or you can use a larger quantity of ethanol (drinking alcohol - I'm against wasting booze). To test the right mixture leave it in the cooler over night, if it doesn’t freeze, you’ve got yourself a homemade, eco friendly windshield fluid.
____________________

I never buy Windex plus I'm cheap, so I'm aiming for the 9 parts water and 1 part rubbing alcohol and adding a bit of Dawn.  A tablespoon of Dawn for that recipe sounds like a lot, (wouldn't it be sudsy with that much?) so I'd probably start with a teaspoon and add more if necessary.  I'm okay with adding more rubbing alcohol if needed since it gets really cold here and I'll absolutely do the freeze test first! But since I'll need it before it gets freezing cold outside, putting some in the freezer overnight would work (oh, is that what he means by 'cooler'?).  I'll use the filtered water from our pricey RO system instead of distilled....and I'll bounce this off of Bill first, as it's his department.

I'm still wondering about the vinegar and water recipe. I'll have to do the trial test on that one, too.  I'm still not convinced that the vinegar won't freeze.  My freezer pickles recipe has vinegar in it, and it sure freezes solid.
I think you could possibly end up spending more for ingredients than what a gallon jug of washer fluid costs.  You'd have a little less plastic in the recycle bin or trash, and depending on the recipe used, it'd be more eco friendly.

But if you end up buying a jug of the fluid, I was told that it makes great window washing solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment