Sunday, December 18, 2011

More progress - Got the library painted!

Bill and I are pretty tired of construction.  I usually can't force myself to do some of this unless the spirit says 'move'.  While Bill and Dan (our oldest son who's back from India) hung some drywall, I got the library painted.

The color is a bit off in the pictures (it's a better brown shade), plus all the pictures I took today have this weird slant at the top.  Bill thinks I was leaning.  :o)  Anyway, I love the ceiling trim.  We used a good grade of plywood for the ceiling part, 1 x 4 on the walls with quarter round below and at the top of the 1 x 4.  In the corners, we used a inside corner trim usually seen for floor trim.  It's just cut down a bit shorter to fit in this space.

The windows are framed with 1 x 4 scrap, plywood scrap for the triangle part at the top, cove moulding on the inside and outside edges of the trim.  You can't see the bit of plaster stenciling on the window trim, but you can barely see some on the first picture - it's at the top of the arch doorway.  Not that you can see what it actually looks like.  :o)

Usually I'm all about using recycled stuff, but this room doesn't have any....yet!  It's probably the only room that I don't have a light fixture for, either.  I snagged up almost every light for this entire house from the clearance aisles of various home improvment centers.  Something will come along.  Anyway, along one of the short walls, the plan is to have short, built in bookcases with doors made from old, double hung windows.  I'd love to have an eggshell mosiac on the top, but I don't think I'll live long enough to complete it.  So I'll come up with something else.

For flooring, I'd like to try messing around with some tempered masonite, doing some kind of simple faux treatment, then a few coats of urethane.  I don't know how much time I'll spend on the flooring design as the bulk of the floor will be covered by a Persian rug that Dan bought for us in Bahrain.

I mixed the paint using brown from another part of the house and some leftover off whites.  I usually hit the oops carts for paint that wasn't mixed the right color.  Most of the paint I have cost $5 to $10 per gallon.  I just mix up plenty for the job, save some in a labeled jar, then use what's left for the next room, adding whatever I need for another shade.

More updates later.


  1. I had been missing your blog and now I can see why. It's great to have you back. That's quite a library you have there! I like it a lot. One of the few stipulations I have when looking to move is that there must be space for book.

  2. Beeeyoouutifull! You guys have been busy and I love the ingenuity that went into all the moulding.


  3. Thanks! I have a lot of books, so now I'll have a place to keep them and a comfy chair.