Saturday, May 5, 2012

Homemade cough drops

We got back from Camarillo, CA last Tuesday.  Our son's wedding was - how do I put this - Best -----Wedding-----Ever!!!!  Wow!  We had so much fun.  Camarillo is a beautiful area, acres of strawberry fields, ocean breezes, NO BUGS (they're all at my place this year) and a whole lotta people.  And I mean a LOT of people.  So I brought home some mysterious upper respiratory crud as a souvenier. 

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to the 200+ people on our flight home that are going to want to kick my butt in about a week.  Agh.

It didn't hit me hard until the day after we got home.  Yesterday I thought I was going to cough up my left lung.  Bill was gone and the dogs don't drive, so I hit the web for homemade cough remedies.  I'd read about them before but never actually tried any of them.  You know how they always say to drink lots of fluids when you're sick?  I learned that this is one of the best things you can do if you have a dry cough.  It makes the crud in your lungs less sticky so your coughs are more productive.

One site that had a lot of helpful tips is http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Homemade-Cough-Drops .  There is a list of ingredients that you can choose from to make your 'tea' or base for cough drops.  I don't keep much around here that can't be used for something else (like horehound, osha root??) so I settled for what I had on hand - a somewhat wrinkly chunk of ginger.  I also subbed honey for the corn syrup and got to cooking.

Know what?  It might be glorified candy, but it's working.  I'm not coughing nearly as much.  The half gallon of weak tea w/ honey and cinnamon that I have drank is also helping.  Besides the exercise I'm getting by running to the bathroom every 20 minutes, the crud in my lungs isn't hanging on so tightly.

2 comments:

  1. Get well soon.
    What did you find to wear for the wedding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb,
      I found most of what I needed at Cato's (sp? I'm having a brain cloud these past couple of days). I bought a long, smoky blue dress that has spaghetti straps and a pearl colored summer sweater. I also was able to get pewter colored heels, fancy flats (to wear at the reception and for dancing), plus the matching dinky purse there.
      I'm glad I had the sweater, but I do wish that I could have found a pewter color. Temps had dropped into the 60's by the time we left the botanical gardens.

      Delete