Saturday, August 25, 2012

More Uses for Orange or Citrus Peels


Image from ifood.tv

I love orange peel.  You can just make so dang much with it.  For some time I have just put peels in vinegar and made homemade orange oil cleaner .  That's when I wasn't eating them candied with sugar or with chocolate this way

Now I'm going a little crazy with the peels.

So here's the latest:

I added some orange peel to homemade soap. 
I just put the peel on a plate and let it air dry until it was really dry and crispy.  After a couple weeks (I forgot about 'em) the peels went into my Magic Bullet hand blender and I gave 'em a good whirl.  I ended up with orange peel dust (and ringing ears, it was pretty noisy).  I added some to the soap at trace (it was just castile soap, nothing fancy).  I was experimenting to see if there would be some noticeable orange fragrance in the soap.  There was some, but not for long.  The unexpected thing was that the soap cleared up the acne on my friend's face.  She still talks about it.  Maybe she's trying to drop a hint, eh?

Scouring powder
Simple ingredients, using 5 Tbsp of baking soda, 3 Tbsp of Borax and 3 Tbsp of ground citrus peels.  Crunchy Betty uses grapefruit peels to make hers.  She's so cool.

Next on the list is Orange-cello .  Vodka and orange peels?  Wow.  Other recipes here are orange and olive oil salt and orange butter!

Salt preserved orange or lemon peel ?  Sounds good to me.

Cupcakes!!  Baking cupcakes or muffins in orange peel?  Who'da thought it.  Check it out at Beyond A Garden

Care2.com lists 22 ways to use lemon peel .

And I didn't even bother to TRY to count all the uses for citrus peels listed at Local Kitchen .


Credit: iStockphoto/Alessandro Marzo

That sounds a little familiar...

No comments:

Post a Comment