Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Low odor, cheap, eco friendly cat litter!

Update!  The latest and last poop on cat litter.
I have one cat that I could cheerfully drop kick out the front door.  Okay, maybe not. 

Here's the shorter version:

Cat would leave me a 'present' between the litter boxes.  She didn't like the Tractor Supply horse bedding pellets ($6 for a 40 pound bag) that is just like Feline Pine Cat Litter....but way cheaper. I tried misting the pine pellets so they wouldn't be so crunchy.  No luck.  Every day there was a 'present' between the boxes.  At least Cat whizzed in the box.

Cat did like expensive silicone, clumping litter.  Scented stuff just made me cough, gag, I hated it.  Next we got unscented.  Cat was okay with that, I still hated it.  I hated messing with big clumps of wet goop, hated knowing that it wasn't the best thing for Cat(s), hated the tracking, hated the expense, hated hauling it home. 

What is still working after two weeks of trial:
Cheap potting soil
Grass from our yard

After reading elsewhere about using dried grass clippings for cat litter, the light bulb went off.  Last year I raked up some grass clippings, threw some in the chicken coop and sprinkled some on the goat bedding.  I was amazed at how much better both areas smelled.  Fresh cut grass does smell pretty good, doesn't it.  And it does have some odor control qualities.

Back to Cat's box: I started with some newspaper on the bottom of the litterbox.  I added about 2" or less of potting soil and a sprinkle of grass that we yanked up.  That night I could tell it was working pretty good.  The next morning I decided to pull out the newspaper.  We don't use a trash service and I wanted something that I could just dump in an out of the way place.  I didn't want Cat's newspapers blowing all over the county.  Anyway, after pulling out the newspaper, I scooped the poops (plus an obvious damp area) and added some more grass clippings with a sprinkle of potting soil.  I haven't dumped the entire box yet after two weeks, but I have scooped out wet areas.  I planned on dumping the entire box weekly and rinsing it out.

The best thing about this is that a $2 bag of potting soil from the Dollar Store will probably last a good month.  It has that natural feel when Cat is in the box.  The grass is free and really does help with odor control.  I sprinkle some grass in the box with the pine litter, too.

Cat ate some of the grass, upchucked it after a bit, but only on the first day.  We also bought some small mats to put in front of the litter boxes.  That has helped with the tracking.

We use a riding mower, but now we are storing our son's push mower with a bag.   Let's see, cat litter, mulch in the garden, goat bedding, litter for the chicken coop...I'm smiling.  It's the simple things in life.  :o)

13 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it.I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    coconut

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have got some great posts in your blog. Keep up with the good work.
    lose weight fast

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the fresh perpective you did on the issue. I will be back soon to check up on new posts! Thank you!
    best erection pills over the counter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is good. Thanks for the post.
    Best protein

    ReplyDelete
  5. Subsequently, after spending many hours on the internet at last We\'ve uncovered an individual that definitely does know what they are discussing many thanks a great deal wonderful post.
    Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog you have here - market is very slow - Hopefully things will begin picking back up
    catering service Kildare

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting and informative blog and about the fast food Asia and I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.
    fast food Asia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get many information about the Vanessa Megan MANIFESTO and i appreciate your work.
    Vanessa Megan MANIFESTO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you i did really need this topic you share a very nice information about the pure garlic extract it's great work.
    pure garlic extract

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog have allot of detail about the hypnosis mp3s it's good job.
    hypnosis mp3s

    ReplyDelete