Wednesday, September 25, 2019

It's All Good. Lesson Learned. Again.

Captain's Log 09.25.2019

Ye gods, I was a hurting unit all night long. Hands, wrists, elbows, one previously injured low back vertebra, knees and ankles were all affected. I finally got back in bed around 6 this morning and slept for 5 hours.

But it's all good. Lesson learned. Again.

I had deluded myself into thinking that a healthier version of a brownie (awesome black bean brownie recipe) would be okay for a treat for Bill. Or that's how I spun it. So, even though it only had 2 T of actual cane sugar (maple syrup is most of the sweetener in the recipe), it also had 2 T of cocoa powder. And a cup of chocolate chips. More than the recipe called for, I just wanted to empty the bag.

On my list of inflammatory foods to avoid: sugar and cocoa. Chocolate chips fall in that category, too.

Also, in my 'waste not, want not' lifestyle, I polished off the rest of the mashed potatoes from the previous night's dinner. Why did I make potatoes, you ask? The potatoes had already been cooked, then frozen, probably because I had too many at the time and this was a good way for me to be able to use them. This was before I discovered that I should stay away from spuds.

On my list of inflammatory foods to avoid: potatoes.

AND of course, there were plenty of bananas that were perfectly ripe. So, I had peanut butter and banana toast. And a small apple.

On my list of inflammatory foods to avoid: wheat, banana and apple.

Honestly, it was glorious. I relished every single bite of every single food I was supposed to avoid.

Until around two in the morning.

I don't know how long it will take for the residual pain to be gone, but right now it's a reminder that some things just aren't worth the aftermath.

Bill picks up bananas every time he goes to the store, thinking that he'll eat them. He'll have one or two. I look at the remaining four and try to figure out what to do with them. Usually I end up freezing banana slices for smoothies. Often I use several slices in green smoothies without noticing inflammation, but just because I can't feel it, doesn't mean it's not there, right? Ditto with the small apple. It's also not on the 'approved' menu.

But shit's getting real now. Time to stay with the program.

Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment