Monday, September 16, 2019

Captain's Log - Low Carbing It.

Captain's Log - 09.16.19

Low Carbing It. Lower carbs than usual, anyway.

I didn't weigh today, but I measured an inch less around the fattest part of my belly. That, in itself, helps me stay motivated.

I ate some cookie bar yesterday, dammit. We had a surprise visit from our grandson who lives in Florida. It was a brief trip for him, just three days, two of which were travel days. He surprised his mom by showing up at her workplace on his birthday. He left yesterday and hours later, our youngest son came in from Colorado. Yay! The two members of the family that we don't get to see too often putting in an appearance. His visit is also brief as he's picking up a vehicle that he bought locally and driving it back home. Since it was a 'special occasion', I made the cookie bar. Thought I could resist, didn't happen. Dammit.

Breakfast yesterday wasn't my standard oatmeal. I had a big salad with iceberg, Romaine, small amount of carrot, red cabbage, hard boiled egg, a bit of sunflower seeds, a big pinch of dried kale and dry TVP (textured vegetable protein). The TVP gives the salads another texture, similar to nuts. I like the bit of added plant based protein plus the soy keeps my night sweats away. YMMV Creamy dressing w/ homemade yogurt and I was good to go. Later I had two sliced cucumbers with some yogurt and Pyure sweetener (stevia/erythritol blend). It tasted similar to the old 'cukes and cream' recipe, the one with equal parts sour cream and sugar for a dressing over sliced cucumbers.

The rest of the day I ate a polish sausage, 2 hard boiled eggs, 4 oz of cream cheese and stared at the can of green beans and the salad in the frig. Today I'll actually open that can. The only veg I had was in the salad. Not good.

While my hand was healing, I read some about the difference between counting calories and counting carbs:

Pros of counting calories: You can easily read a nutritional label and get a number to count toward your daily intake. A low calorie diet can benefit health conditions associated with obesity like high blood pressure and heart disease.

Cons of counting calories: Calorie counting doesn't take into account your nutritional needs, only your intake of calories. Cutting calories to an unhealthy level (usually less than 1200 to 1500 calories per day) can be a harmful way to lose weight.

Pros of counting carbs: This approach can be beneficial for those who must watch their carbohydrate intake, like people with diabetes. You can easily read a nutritional label and get a number to count toward daily intake. (Wow, it's like they had to stretch to find some shit to write.)

Cons of counting carbs: Not all foods contain carbohydrates. For example, a porterhouse steak doesn't have carbohydrates, but is very high in fat and calories. Watching carbohydrates alone doesn't guarantee a healthy diet.

Here's that source. We can all find some things to argue about all that, pros and cons. The bottom line is that we all have to find that one way that helps our body.

Marianne


Belly Fat



No comments:

Post a Comment