Saturday, August 24, 2019

Choosing the Healthier Path

Captain's Log 08.24.19

Yesterday I did pretty well compared to how I have been eating. I had a cup of oatmeal cooked with almond milk and added a few raisins (we have a ton of them that are getting a little...past their prime). Ate an apple after that just because I thought about it. I wasn't really hungry after the oatmeal, so that's another obstacle I need to get past.

We were away from the house for several hours, so I didn't have any lunch.  We live in the country and I tend to stay away from stores, especially places like Wal-Mart or wherever there are crowds of people. It's the germ thing. Every time I get sick, I lose some lung function that will never come back, so I'm a hermit. I'm okay with it. But we ended up in town to pick up a few groceries, then ate at Burger King.

I know, Burger King? Not healthy a'tall! But definitely a treat for me. I had an Impossible Whopper, a few fries and a few onion rings. I ate until I was full and recognized that I was full. And left everything else for the trash. Victory! Okay, hardly a victory, but I didn't feel compelled to eat every crumb.

Late night snacking, dammit. Small bunch of red grapes, and a couple of whole grain raspberry bars, 100 calories for the two. Far less than my usual grazing at night.

This morning, 25 minutes of chair aerobics with my dude Curtis, on YouTube. My usual cup of oatmeal with almond milk and a few raisins plus an apple. Coffee, Elderberry/ACV with medications and vitamins.

A neighbor came over, so no lunch. We had an early dinner of Teriyaki Soy Curls with Pineapple and Bell Pepper and rice. I used just half the package of Soy Curls, added some onion, used Pyure instead of sugar (and less than the recipe stated) and baked (instead of frying) the Soy Curls. Pretty good. Next time I'll make twice the sauce. BTW, Soy Curls are much better in recipes if you rehydrate them in beef, chicken or veggie broth instead of plain o' water.

If you're interested in Soy Curls, they are cheaper if you buy them from the manufacturer, Butler Foods,  BBQ Soy Curls are the bomb! Just like eating BBQ Chicken. Bring it on.

I did screw up and got a second helping because I had been so hungry. I was halfway through it before I remembered, so I put the big o' spoon down.

More baby steps, headed in the right direction.

Marianne

No comments:

Post a Comment